USABILITY & ACCESSIBILITY TESTING
WhatsApp Us With Your Requirement!
Usability & Accessibility Testing
Software testing is the process of evaluating and verifying a software product delivers what it is expected to deliver a defect free product. Software, systems, and web applications developed by companies are generally not only intended for the use of hearing and seeing audiences but also for disabled and disadvantaged audiences who might also be potential customers or clients. This is now a human-driven approach where the emphasis is for every user with or without disabilities. It is essential for websites and applications to be compliant with W3C’s WCAG and ADA.
Usability and Accessibility Testing Definition
Usability Testing is a type of testing, that is done from an end user’s perspective to determine if the system is easily usable. It is the practice of testing how to easy design is to use. A very common mistake in usability testing is conducting a study too late in the design process and If you wait until right before your product is released, you won’t have the time or money to fix any issues and you’ll have wasted a lot of effort developing your product the wrong way.
Accessibility testing is a subset of usability testing wherein the users under consideration are people with or without disabilities. It is the practice of making a website/mobile application usable to as many people as possible. This ensures the website / mobile application is accessible to those with disabilities, such as vision impairment, hearing disabilities, and other physical, motor or cognitive impairment.
Importance of Usability and Accessibility Testing
For any software application that is under development, factoring in accessibility ensures that the web content is reachable to everyone for equitable use. To test any web application, it is mandatory to have accessibility testing methods as a part of Software Testing Cycle (STC). When developers implement Universal Design Principles it can improve the website accessibility. This also aligns with the concept of human driven approach.
Usability testing provides some benefits and the main benefits and purpose of usability testing are to identify usability problems with a design as early as possible, so they can be fixed before the design is implemented or mass produced and then such, usability testing is often conducted on prototypes rather than finished products, with different levels of fidelity depending on the development phase.
Refusal to perform Accessibility Testing in Software Testing Cycle
Accessibility testing is mandatory to meet the needs of all the users. It’s also by law that between the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 508, there are plenty of regulations to meet. Failure to do so could result in fines of $75,000-$150,000.
Thoughtframeworks Accessibility Testing approach
- Customize test plan creation.
- Usage of evaluation tools for testing
- Issue identification with Sortsite (automated tool)
- Google lighthouse
- Screen reader test
- ChromeVox using chrome extension
- Generate a combined report of evaluation tools report and visual inspection reports
- Defect Report: JIRA ticket with specific action items to address.
- Prepare a summary report for
- Page metrics
- Accessibility guidelines metrics
Accessibility Testing Tool
Accessibility Testing Automation Tools
- Google Lighthouse and tenon Tool
When should you perform Accessibility Testing?
Accessibility Testing can be performed once the build has passed the Smoke testing.
Other Testing services along with Usability and Accessibility Testing you should opt for
Software usability Testing, also referred to as User Experience(UX) Testing, is a method to measure how easy and user-friendly a software application is. This test is performed by a small set of target end-users who test the software applications and expose usability defects.
Accessibility Testing the Thoughtframeworks way!
- Avoid legal implications – It is now globally accepted that websites must meet mandatory accessibility requirements before going live. Failing to do so will have legal complications.
- Potential growth in the business – 1 in 5 people are living with some sort of disability, which forms 19% of the global population. Any application that is built by following accessible guidelines, reaches people with disabilities and results in potential growth of the company’s revenue.
- Accurate Search results – When the website is developed on the accessibility model, it will contain rich text snippets which will ensure search engines can find a website more easily as search engines are designed to look for a text while populating search results.
- Better User Experience – When a digital content is optimised for accessibility, it ensures that the application is as intended by the target audience. Implementing an accessible design ensures easy navigation, clarity, readability and appearance which will positively impact the user’s journey for the developed application.
- Unique approach is used to cover the application end to end testing with a combination of both Manual and automated tools and listed issues.
- Real users testing to uncover hidden scenarios. Taking the users feedback regularly is also important.
- Accessibility testing started early costs is less and saving time
- Create multiple reports with Page wise, Guideline wise and screen readers.
- Brainstorming sessions done regularly to understand the features and list missing scenarios.
The Thoughframeworkers and their experience in Usability & Accessibility Testing
Adding value to Usability & Accessibility Testing requirements: