Performance Testing & Engineering
One of the critical software testing practices in software quality assurance is Performance Testing. In any Software Development Life Cycle, the software applications will have performance bottlenecks. The goal of Performance Testing is not to find bugs but to identify and eliminate those performance bottlenecks, which in turn will have a positive impact on the software application’s speed, responsiveness and reliability. Performance Testing makes way to meet the expected service levels in production.
Performance testing is a non-functional software testing, it is the practice in which the system is evaluated for its performance, responsiveness & stability of a computer, network, software program or device under a particular workload. The key aspects like speed, robustness, and reliability are evaluated
Why is Performance Testing & Engineering required?
- To examine various programming languages tools and frameworks used by the developers to build the web application which is also referred to as technology stacks
- To identify database and API related issues.
- To enhance the website's performance, stability, dependability, reduce risk and more importantly enhance the brand reputation.
- The success and productivity of the application depends directly on a planned and properly implemented performance testing which is the key to effective holistic digital strategy
- To ensure a positive customer journey/user experience
What happens when Performance Testing & Engineering is not done?
As per industry experts, “Two hundred and fifty milliseconds, either slower or faster, is close to the magic number for competitive advantage on the Web.” Harry Shum, Executive Vice President of Technology and Research, Microsoft.
- Quality of end-user experience is compromised
- Failure to address application performance issues in a timely manner results in critical transaction failure, inconsistent performance across browsers, and application inaccessibility in specific locations.
- It is good to predict and be prepared for any issues that can arise in the web application delivery chain
- Performance issues can delay the web application launch
Performance Testing Methods
Continuous Performance Testing
We follow and incorporate agile, DevOps and continuously integrate automation solutions into software development. This helps customers accelerate their ability to deliver.
We understand the client’s current requirement and suggest capacity planning factoring in their future expansion. This involves evaluating the storage, computer hardware, software and connection infrastructure resources required for future periods.
Stress Testing involves testing a software beyond its normal operational limits, often to a breaking point, in order to observe the results. It is particularly important for mission critical software applications. This will avoid the risks of failures and degradation of the services when there is a high load.
Applying demand on a software system and recording its response is referred to as load testing. We simulate several users who are currently accessing the application and evaluate the system's responsiveness under various conditions of load. This test often assesses the application's speed and capacity. Load testing is relevant for multi-user systems.
Soak Testing/Endurance Testing
Soak testing is the process of testing a system to detect performance issues by generating significant user load for an extended period of time and then measuring and analyzing the behaviour of the system under test.
Spike testing involves rapidly increasing or decreasing the load generated by a large number of users and observing the system's behaviour. The goal is to determine whether the system can handle extreme variation in traffic.
What would be the right time to do Performance Testing?
Performance testing can be incorporated into either the Waterfall Model (we wait until the end of the development cycle to begin Performance testing) or the Agile Model (we start the performance testing from the very beginning with unit tests).
What are the other testing services you should opt for along with “Performance Testing & Engineering”
- Functional testing
- Automation testing
- Usability & Accessibility Testing
- Security & Penetration testing
- Cloud Native Application testing
Performance Testing & Engineering - The ThoughtFrameworks way!
The Thoughtframeworks Performance testing and Engineering team helps the clients to identify, overcome the performance challenges and achieve high responsive, reliable, scalable, and resilient mobile and web applications.
We at Thought Frameworks helps our clients to achieve
- Reduction in the % of average defect leak
- We provide performance insight and accuracy in 4-6 hours
- We ensure there is 50% reduction in Performance Testing efforts
- We suggest the best ways to reduce the cloud and infrastructure cost.
Performance Testing Process
Identify & Analyze Non-Functional Requirement:
- Understanding Application Under Test (AUT) Architecture
- Non-Functional Requirements (NFR)Questionnaire - Identification and Understanding of critical scenarios
- Understanding the details of the interface and the growth patterns
- Getting NFR document signed-off by Client
Performance Test Strategy
- Prepare and review data setup for Performance Tests
- Defining in-scope and out-scope
- Defining Service Level Agreements (SLA)
- Defining Workload Models
- Prepare, review Risks and Mitigation
- Baseline the Performance Test Strategy document
Performance Test Design
- Design and develop test scripts
- Enhance the script for data parameterization
- Perform Correlation for the dynamic data
- Design the actions and transactions
- Perform the unit testing of the developed scripts
Performance Test Execution
- Design the scenarios as per the workload models agreed in the Performance test strategy
- Execute the performance test scripts with the agreed user loads
- Monitor the KPIs, health checks of the Application Under Test (AUT)
- Collect the Results and logs
Performance Test Result Analysis
- Collect Transaction Response times, Page Response times, throughput, errors, Hits per second etc.
- Create graphs and charts
- Correlate various graphs and charts
- Prepare a detailed Test Report
- Review and perform the analysis of the Performance Test Report
- List down your observations and recommend performance tuning areas for the engineering team
- Generate and prepare a detailed Performance Analysis Report and share among the Stakeholders
Benchmarks & Recommendations
- Compare the results with the earlier execution results
- Compare with the benchmark standards
- Validate with NFRs
- Prepare a Test report presentation
- Baseline the Performance Report once reviewed
Performance Testing Tools
- MicroFocus SilkPerformer
- MicroFocus LoadRunner
- Performance Center
Application Performance Monitoring Tools
- New Relic
Thoughtframeworks expertise in Performance Testing & Engineering
With over a decade of expertise in applying industry-standard solutions to conduct performance testing & Engineering to meet our client’s expectations.
The Thoughtframeworkers are a team of SMEs who assists customers in deploying high-performing apps that meet or exceed customer expectations by leveraging an integrated set of enterprise-grade performance engineering solutions that include intelligent analytics and support extensive integrations with DevOps and application performance monitoring (APM)
The Thoughframeworkers and their experience in Performance Testing
Adding value to Performance Testing requirements: